Monday, July 6, 2015

Awkward mirror selfies

The other day I posted some pictures from the 4th and one of you made this comment.


"and bless you, not a selfie in the batch :) "


That got me thinking about this whole selfie phenomenon which I really have not participated in other than a few snaps from a webcam I used to have.  I've never been one to like having my picture taken. Even when I was a child, I hated it. Most of the pictures of me when I was a little kid, which weren't many, I am not smiling, or I am outright frowning or I just look awkward.  I hated picture day at school when they tried to force you to smile and there is nothing worse than a forced smile .  Don't get me wrong, I'm a happy person most of the time and I smile often, but I have this problem smiling for a camera.

Even the professional photographers at my daughters' weddings had a hard time with me, and I think one of them got so frustrated with me, they were ready to throw me out of the portrait session completely. Which would have been fine by me, but my daughter would not have been happy.

So anyway, I have never gotten into this whole selfie thing, so today I decided I would try it. I first used my phone, but I suck at phone pictures. They are always blurry when I try to use the phone. My kids laugh at me about that because they can take perfect pictures with a phone and they figure since I do ok with a camera, I should be able to take great pictures with a phone.......Nope !!

So I said, "Ok, the phone is out, but there is a mirror and a camera"  After all, there are mirror selfies all over the internet.  I can do this.  Yes, I understand I could have set up the camera with the timer, but that is too much like having someone else take my picture.  Maybe another day.....

Oh, I never have figured out how people make their arms long enough to hold a camera up and take a selfie. They must have monkey arms or something.

Anyway, I put myself in front of the mirror in the bedroom and took a couple of pictures, but they seemed so far away, so I put my face right up to the mirror and then I had the problem of where to put the camera so I could see what I was taking ........it just didn't work. If I held it too far away, I kept trying to look over at the camera which resulted in my eyes rolling to the side or up in my head or some stupid way !!!  Hahaha

I did not get one good picture of me where I was not looking in some weird direction.  I finally said heck with it and put a pair of sunglasses on.  Oh and then I closed my eyes, and then I missed completely......

So, I am out of the selfie business for now, but I will share my awkward mirror selfies with you all here today.  Oh, you notice I am no longer a brunette.  Well, a few years ago when my hair started showing some gray, I fell into the vanity trap and started coloring it. I kept it as close to my natural color as possible, except for this one time when I used a different brand and it seemed kind of purple!!  My daughter laughed about that and all of her friends loved it, but I wasn't having that, no way no how.
This past year, I decided I was going to stop with that silliness and just be the old lady that I am. I figured since I will turn 60 this year, it was time. The girl that cuts my hair told me I should keep coloring it because my face was not old enough to wear it natural (OLD)  but I had made up my mind. So no more brunette. I am a granny and proud of it !

This was my first attempt hahaha, I missed completely as you see.  By the way, this one was in the bathroom.  There was better light in there :-)



After a few more attempts with resulting crazy eyes, I put my shades on.... I'm not sure where my eyes are looking behind those shades.



And finally, just close your eyes and you don't have to worry about it.  LMAO



I did get one where my eyes were looking straight ahead, but I looked mad in it and for some reason I thought my eyes looked like a fish, so I am not posting that one !!   I'll keep practicing though.

Ok, now you can laugh.........and laugh........and laugh........and make jokes or whatever. It's all good !!

Have a nice rest of the day. I am off to cook some chicken enchiladas which will last me 3 days.


Much love ~~~




10 comments:

  1. They are still interesting photos. ...I'm the same about having my picture taken. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot of people don't like there picture taken for some reason. I am not photogenic no matter who takes them and there are only a very few of me that I have ever even half liked.

      Delete
    2. I meant to say "their" not "there" lol.....

      Delete
  2. ... seen other pics of you ... specially the one with the rifle ...
    Not bad ... not bad at all ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you were thinking about my daughter's picture :-) I wish I looked that good !

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. You do take great pictures of people.........but that doesn't mean I would like it LOL :-P

      Delete
  4. You're not alone I don't get the whole selfie explosion. However way back on Y360 I did take some for my profile pic. Believe it or not I don't have monkey arms and was able to do it. However I too had to put on the shades...you did great, you look great!
    Oh how awkward those class picture days. Mine all turned out awful. I guess the best one was my senior year....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A friend of mine's daughter posts so many selfies it is ridiculous. I think there is some narcissism there LOL

      Delete
  5. Hi Lia..... I've not been around social media much recently and this is me doing a bit of a catch up :-).... I've just been through all my email notifications and clicked on loads of your old posts to read..... only to find they were no longer available :-(.... that will teach me not to leave it so long in future. At last.... I've found one ( this one) I can read and comment on...oh how I hate this 'selfie' craze. loads of pictures of people pulling weird faces, and leaning into the camera. . A week or so ago a couple of people actually died trying to take selfies while out in a thunder storm. They were using one of those long 'selfie sticks' and their phone. A sort of metal stick thing that you attach to the phone so you can take the selfie from futher away and get more people in the picture. Anyway.... the selfie stick was struck by lightening, the metal stick conducted the lightening directly to the people and they both later died in hospital. I keep thinking how horrible that is, what a freaky accident, and then I think why on earth would anyone wander around in a thunder storm waving what is essentually a lightening conductor around over their heads just to get the perfect selfie?? Anyhow... thats what happened, it was on the news. As for your selfie, great photos, and great camera you have, loving your blond hair, but between the shades and the camera.... not a lot of your 'self' is actually there on the selfie :-) Anyway... I'll try not to leave it so long next time and maybe I'll get to read your posts before you delete them

    ReplyDelete

Merry Christmas

 Merry Christmas to all. Sorry I have not been on lately.  I had a bad cold and cough starting at Thanksgiving. I was finally getting over t...