Friday, January 6, 2017

January 6, 2017

I have to mention the weather because I realize that everyone thinks I am crazy because I want snow and cold, but I have to say I do not want the snow and cold that some people are getting.  And after this morning, I realized I should be glad I live here in the land of eternal summer (though it is supposed to get kind of chilly here in the next day or so) .  As most of you know, my little daughter who is a tiny little mite (gah, that is a bad word but somehow it seemed like the word to use) .  Ok, I lost my train of thought ...

Oh yeah, my little daughter who is 100 pounds soaking wet called me this morning and told me that it was -12 F at the base they are stationed at in Idaho and the wind chill was -32 F and that half of the base was without power and me, being her mommy and the grandmommy of her little baby, started crying !!    I grew up in northern Indiana, so I know cold, but I don't remember ever having a wind chill that frigid .   Luckily, her house still had power, and the heat was on but she said it was still cold in the house so I told her to stay under the electric blanket I gave her the year before last when I found out she was going to be living in a cold climate.  I told her to layer her clothes and the baby too and if the heat went out , to wear a hat also.   Then I remembered the arctic snow suit that they issued to my son in law, we had laughed about that thing when I was there in November because it reminded me of these snowsuits we wore as little kids where we could barely walk in them (think Christmas Story the movie).    So I asked her if  J had worn it this morning and she said no, so I told her if the heat went out, to put her and the baby inside of it !!!   

I suggested to her that if any of her friends were the ones without power, to invite them to stay with them even if they had to sleep in sleeping bags on the floor.  I meant the ones who have babies and little kids.  The others can tough it out .    She had already done that though because she is thoughtful like that.
And then I got to thinking about all those babies who live on the base, because there are about a gazillion babies on the base and then I started crying again .

Hopefully they have restored power now and they are all as warm as they can get when the cold seeps into the house that way.  Yeah, I remember that when I was a kid. It wasn't that bad till ya had to get up and get ready for school.  I always stood by the old wood burning stove to get dressed , until I got too old and didn't want my brothers to see me in my undies hahaha.

So yeah, I am an old softy at heart, even if I sometimes seem like a grump...   No cold babies!!  Think Spring , early Spring.

Now, what have I done today ?  Um, I almost hate to say it, but I went and bought some herbs for my garden and a couple of tomato plants and bird food . Not that our birds go hungry here, but I like watching them so I feed them.  I had something I wanted to gripe about, concerning my trip to Lowes, but I think I will just be nice today and think how fortunate I am to live here in the land of eternal summer where I can plant tomatoes in January while poor little babies are turning to icicles on an Air Force base ...






 Ok, now I am gonna cry again.

Later my darlins ♥♥♥

7 comments:

  1. hope this isn't a duplicate....

    anyway - we don't know how good we have it until we find out how it is in other places - i just talked to a friend in NC - they are expecting 18F this evening and it's starting to sleet - not exactly my cup of tea :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I know you love the warm weather so it is good you live right here in central Florida where most of the time it is toasty :-)

      Delete
  2. Wow -32!! I guess I can only say I don't have nothing like that. We had minus windchill the other day and will this weekend too, somewhere in the -10 maybe. So the temp today was a balmy 15. I know right? I would hate to lose power in the Winter. Last year around this time our power went out for a number of hours. Brrrr.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't even imagine anything as cold as what they had. Yeah, maybe Florida is not so bad :-)

      Delete
    2. From my point of view, the land of eternal Summer is lookin good (-;

      Delete
  3. I had to get in the truck twice yesterday to thaw my hands...hard to do anything when then get numb....candles....a dozen candles in a closed room will keep you warm....and whiskey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I know who to send a dozen candles too. :-)

      You take good care of those hands, they might come in handy :-))

      Delete

Merry Christmas

 Merry Christmas to all. Sorry I have not been on lately.  I had a bad cold and cough starting at Thanksgiving. I was finally getting over t...