You came into our lives the year you were in the 7th grade. You were my son's best friend all through middle and high school and beyond until today. But not only were you his best friend, you were like a brother to him. An only brother since he was surrounded by sisters.
I immediately fell in love with you and you became a big part of our family. Through all of these years, you were here. At every family gathering, cookout, every holiday get together. You were always here with a smile, and your crazy jokes, and your silly stories. Always making everyone laugh or keeping the conversation going when there was a lull.
You were an artist, a really talented one. You loved cats! I mean you are the only guy I know who would bake a birthday cake for your cat on his birthday!!
You were sweet and caring and compassionate and I can't think of one single person who did not love you.
Right after high school, you lost your Mama. I remember the pain I felt in my heart for you and it was probably about that time that I took you in as a son. No, you didn't move in with us, but I decided then and there to be your second Mama and that is what you called me all through these years.
In 2014 you had a stroke. You were only in your 20's and we were so afraid we were going to lose you, but you Michael were a fighter. You were not going to let a stroke get you down. You even laughed about it. And you fought your way back over the months of rehab and you came back strong. You started working out and got into the best shape you had ever been in. You were determined to get your life back, and you did.
A couple of years later, you lost your dad. My heart broke for you once again, but you took it in stride and kept on going. Your positive attitude was so contagious!
This past May, I lost my daughter to suicide. And right along with all my other children, you were here for me. I remember that day so well. After everyone had gone home except for my other son, you stayed. I remember the way you kept looking at me like you were waiting for me to just fall apart and I knew you wanted to be there if I did. I finally told you it was okay for you to go home. I would be okay. But you stayed awhile longer and before you left you gave me the biggest tightest hug I had ever gotten from you.
That is my last memory of you . It is seared in my mind. And I remember telling you as you walked out the door, to not be a stranger. And you promised to come around more. But your life got busy and you found a nice young lady and started dating and I was happy for you. But I knew when the next holiday or cookout came along, our Michael would be here right along with the rest of my children.
Three weeks ago, I got a strong feeling that I needed to call you and I had that on my agenda for the day. My youngest daughter said she had that same strong feeling to contact you. But before the day was over, I got a call from my "other" son and he gave me that bad news that you had been put in the hospital with covid pneumonia and they had you on a ventilator.
I did not want to hear that, but I was not going to give up on you. So I prayed everyday that you would get well and come home to us. At one point you rallied, but then you got another infection in your lungs. Still I didn't give up, but yesterday, I had this feeling that maybe this was not going to end well. It was the first time I felt that way. I prayed to my God to heal you, but yesterday I just said, "if he is not going to get better, please release him ".
This morning the phone rang. I looked to see who it was and it was my other son, your lifelong best friend. And I knew before I picked up the phone. He said "Mama" and all I could say was "NO".
You fought hard after you had your stroke years ago, you fought to come back fully and you did. You fought hard to get in shape so you could live a long life. You fought so hard baby, but you could not fight this bioweapon.
I hope you knew how much we all loved you, how important a part of our family you had become. I hope somehow you could sense that we were there with you while you lay up in the hospital fighting for you life. I hope you knew my SON.
Rest in Peace our dear Michael
Thank you for all the love, joy, and laughter you gave through the years.
You will forever remain in our hearts and our lives will not be the same without you here.
Love.
Your Second Mama
Oh my, I'm so sorry. So soon. My heart goes out to you and your family. I can tell you this, he knew all of you were there. There's no real words I can say but I reach out with Big (((Hugs)))
ReplyDeleteI think he knew too, one can hope anyway. I hate that he had to die alone up in a hospital with no one to help him through. Life/death is hard. Thank you Greg 💖
DeleteWords do not exist......wish they did....
ReplyDeleteThere is no need for words, you just being here is enough. Thank you RT 💖
DeleteLove ya Boo! Thank you 💗
ReplyDelete