Thursday, November 17, 2022

Oh Sheeeet

 I don't like cussing so SHEEET will have to do here lol.

First oh sheeeet thing to happen is I didn't get the bike.  The guy who was going to sell it to me who quoted $250 (that was HIS price) got an offer for $400 so he reneged on the deal. I couldn't go get it that day but he promised to hold it as he said he had not gotten any response when he placed the ad a few weeks ago.  But oh sheeeet, of course in the few days before I was going to pick it up, someone came along and offered more.  So much for promises, but hey, I understand. A person has to make a buck and he at least called me to let me know before I drove over an hour to get it.  

Second oh sheeeet thing is that hurricane last week flooded the riding trail again. I was hoping to do the 15 mile ride this week, but that will have to wait. I can only really go on Wednesdays and next week my family will be coming in and I have a stress test that morning so maybe the following week.  I hate it though because I was all stoked up about getting that 15 miles behind me.  

Third oh sheeet thing, the worst of all. is living in Florida, homeowner's insurance is through the roof.  If you have a mortgage, you are forced to have it and you are forced to have hurricane insurance.  Well I have no mortgage, but I don't want to not have any insurance.  Last year I paid $2500 and some change for insurance for the year.   I was dreading this year's bill which comes in November and the other day I received mine.  This year.......... ugh!!!  $4,989.31 !!!!!    That is almost double.  There are not a lot of insurance companies that serve Florida, but I started calling around and got some quotes. I finally found a lower rate if my roof had hurricane straps on it which is on the building code now for new built homes. Well my house is older, built in the 60's.  Nice solid built house as were most of the houses built back then. Unlike these things they throw together in a few days now.  This house has been through many hurricanes and the only damage I have had is that stupid piece of soffit that blew off two hurricanes ago. I had that fixed and it did not blow off this time.  

A few years ago, when insurance went up, I had them come and do a wind mitigation and got that which kept the rates a bit lower, but they said there were no hurricane straps.  Today I am having them install hurricane straps to bring it up to code.  So my insurance will be right at $3000 a year with those. It is costing $2300 for the hurricane straps, so I will still be putting out over $5000 but in the long run it will keep  my rates down.  

If I had any sense, I would get out of this state, but I can't leave because I can't take my granddaughter out of the state as long as her dad is still among the living. And I wouldn't separate her from her baby brother anyway. 

So here I am, no new bike, no trail to ride my 15 miles, and living in Florida having to pay through the rear for everything.  But hey, I am alive and that is all that matters.  And all of those things will change. I will find a bike, the trail will be ridable in a couple of weeks.  Insurance will probably go up again next year, but at least my roof will not blow off in the next hurricane lol.  Well I wasn't too worried about it blowing off since it has survived about 10 hurricanes since I have lived in it, and who knows how many more before, but hey, I will save money on the atrocious insurance bills anyway.

That is all I have for today, just a bunch of Sheeeet!!


Much love, 

Lia 11/17/2022

4 comments:

  1. Losing the bike...a bummer...the insurance...that HURTS! I owned a house in Boynton Beach (bit north of Boca south of WPB) just in time for Andrew which fortunately took a turn to the south at the last minute AND I do remember insurance going up for many people then. Fortunately I was high enough (the house) and far enough from the coast that I was not affected then but I suspect that has probably changed. I like G-ville's location when it comes to hurricanes. I am definitely far enough from the Atlantic and the Gulf that any impact is minimal. I wake up every morning feeling good about my decision to move here.

    Things definitely calm here for me as I look forward to sliding into 2023. I do have some outside work around the house I should do but it can wait.

    Good luck finding a bike! Sounds like you are very serious about riding which is good because it's GREAT aerobic exercise and something that is easy on the back, knees & feet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am far enough inland that I will never be affected by the storm surge and I am not in a flood prone area. The only thing that might cause damage for me would be wind, but that could happen even in the middle of the state. We are paying high premiums because of people who build on the beaches and people who live in the flood prone areas. I wish we would get a discount for NOT living in either of those. But it is what it is and this is Florida and hurricanes will always be here so it is a price we pay I guess. One good thing is the value of my house has tripled since I bought it but I can't really sell it and leave right now. I DO like our governor too LOL. Ya don't know what you are getting in another state these days. I will find a bike eventually. I am not stressing over that particular thing.

      Delete
  2. I was fortunate that my house in Boynton Beach was not in a flood zone in 1991 (1992?) when Andrew came through. That house has tripled but it has been 27 years since I sold. SC is fortunate (in my opinion) having a good/reasonable governor also but he is in term 2 now and I don't know if he can/will run again. I agree...DeSantis is very good...one will never agree with anyone all the time BUT his track record (in my opinion) is very good...he seems to have a good handle on reality unlike most politicians.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello....been 5 months...have you found a bike yet? Weather is nice here...trees are getting green...lawn needs mowing...we have a few months before it gets hot & humid and I plan on enjoying them! Hope all is going well for you.

    ReplyDelete

Merry Christmas

 Merry Christmas to all. Sorry I have not been on lately.  I had a bad cold and cough starting at Thanksgiving. I was finally getting over t...