Monday, November 3, 2025

My town flooded

 About a week ago, it started raining, and raining, and raining.  And then it rained some more for a total of 14.9 inches in just a few hours.  

It came down very hard, harder than most of the hurricanes I have been through, and I have been through several.

I was fine in my subdivision, thank goodness. I rarely ever get a mud puddle, but with that much rain, I am surprised. By the next morning it was wet outside, but I would never have guessed that half the town had major flooding. 

City hall got flooded, one of the fire stations, a couple of the schools and lots of houses had water intrusion, some worse than others.  

I guess a few people had to be rescued from their cars because like dummies they drove into flooded streets and didn't realize how deep it was or either they just didn't have sense.  

I went out on my bike the next morning and rode around to some of the other neighborhoods.  About a mile down the street from where I live, they are building a new subdivision. There was a pond there, but after the rain it looked about twice the size, like a full-fledged lake.  Down the street from there all the houses had literal ponds in their yards and one guy had major flooding in his back yard.  Of course, there is a drainage canal nearby, so they all got the overflow from that.  

I didn't see any displaced alligators anywhere, so that was a good thing.  

Today there are still some places where the water has not completely receded.   

The actual bike trail got flooded but I think that has cleared up now, but I have not been out to check.

My daughter who lives about five miles from me had water in her back yard for a couple of days, but luckily it did not get into the house. 

Anyway, sorry I have not been around.  Just been busy and really can't think of anything to write these days.  I guess I have lost my motivation in my old age.

Who would have thought at one time I would write every day, sometimes twice a day.

We are coming up on the holidays and once again, I have relatives invading my house soon, but none of them are staying too long.'

I hope everyone is doing well and just know I DO think of you all often, even if you don't hear from me.


Much love,

Lia 

11/3/2025

6 comments:

  1. Good to hear that your immediate area made it through the storm OK! Had a similar situation here late September of 2024 when the hurricane passed through this area. Fortunately I am on the high side of the river but the town of Pelzer on the west/low side had a significant amount of the town under water...and cleaning up after a flood is difficult and expensive.
    I am in the same rut as far as posting goes. I compose regularly in my mind but it never seems to get out my fingers to the keyboard and...I don't really have much going on with my upcoming calendar for the remainder of the year showing a trip to the dentist and a trip or two to the grocery store! Enjoy the holidays!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I think not having much going on would be a good thing. Personally, I don't have anything much going on other than company coming , but raising a granddaughter, I am always having to take her here or there for school functions and her social life, so I keep busy with that. I also have my grandson every weekend. He is four and he keeps me on my toes!

      Delete
  2. I can not imagine having the level of activity you do! After decades of working high tech startups (stress & drama) and 10+ years of full time dementia care (MORE stress & drama) I am VERY burned out and I REALLY enjoy silence + no drama. I grind my beans in the morning and sip on my coffee till almost noon and on cloudy days I don't have the energy for much else BUT...I must confess that I savor every second...no noise...no stress...no drama...I keep things as simple as possible! YOU have a LOT going on! I could not do it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some days i think I can't do it anymore, but ya do what you have to do. I know you did when you were caring for your mom. Somehow you find the strength to carry on. At least now you can relax. ❤️

      Delete
  3. Totally agree! Ya do what you gotta do and that's how I always looked at it...regardless of how drained you might be! I hope you have a nice Fall of good biking weather!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Weather has been very pleasant lately. 70's in the day and low 60's and upper 50's at night. Perfect biking weather.

      Delete

Merry Christmas

 Merry Christmas to all. Sorry I have not been on lately.  I had a bad cold and cough starting at Thanksgiving. I was finally getting over t...