Monday, October 17, 2011

Beauty Among the Ruins







I took this picture one April a couple of years ago when I was up in South Carolina visiting  my grandchildren.


I used to pass this old dilapidated abandoned house quite often when I lived up in that area. I always wondered about it. Abandoned houses fascinate me. I try to imagine who must have lived in them and how they came to abandon their home.  These days the answer is probably foreclosure !!


This little block house sits in the middle of a cotton field on a rural highway. Most likely at one time it was inhabited by black sharecroppers, descendants of slaves, as were most of the houses like this in the area. 


I could not help but notice the beautiful wisteria vines growing around and over it.  It made me think of the way things are in the world right now.  So much hatred, destruction, decay, and the disintegration of society as a whole.  But amidst all of this , there is still so much beauty if we have eyes to see.


Today, as you go about your daily lives, make a point to see the beauty around you.  Sometimes it can be found in the most unlikely places !

1 comment:

Merry Christmas

 Merry Christmas to all. Sorry I have not been on lately.  I had a bad cold and cough starting at Thanksgiving. I was finally getting over t...