Wednesday, June 11, 2014

(June 11,2014) Rain and Tennessee

I was working on a blog for today, but I was unable to finish it because my granddaughter was here all day and then my daughter ended up staying for supper, so I wasn't able to concentrate on what I wanted to write. Hopefully tomorrow, I can have some peace and quiet and spend some time on it.

Well we finally got some rain today and it was a welcome relief after weeks of nothing but a spritz here and there.  Yes, I do have to mention the rain because rain is quite significant if you have ever experienced a real drought.  I did years ago when I lived in South Carolina. It did not rain for a solid year and my yard turned to dirt and we lost several trees . Some of them looked like a fire had come through, that is how dry and crisp they were.  My middle daughter was born at the beginning of that drought. It was June 1985.  We literally did not get a drop or rain until the following June . I still remember when the skies opened up . I was standing on my front porch holding the one year old baby and dark clouds began to roll in.  And suddenly it just began to pour and pour . My daughter got scared of it because she had never seen rain !!   So yes, I love the rain and always will. Since that year, I have never complained about rain.

Ok, another short little story which came to my mind this morning. If I have told it before, I apologize. I don't always remember what I have posted and what I haven't.  

My young children and I  had taken a trip up to Indiana to visit my stepmom.  On the way home we were travelling on I-40 and I kept seeing those lighted signs saying there was a rock slide at the tunnel up ahead and to take the detour .  Well, I drove along and drove along and suddenly I look around and there are no other cars on the Interstate and we were surrounded by mountains.  It was the strangest feeling. So I told the kids to keep an eye out for the detour sign, surely it must be coming up soon because we were almost to the tunnel.   Well we drove a little farther and I am getting a bit panicky.  I decided to pull off at the next exit to try to look at the map and figure out another route.  We pulled off at the next exit and there was a road that went down the mountain a bit and there was what I thought might be a gas station.   So I pull up there and sitting outside on a bench was this mountain man and woman. And I am talking backwoods, missing teeth, wild haired mountain people.  And I am thinking that I really don't like the looks of this.  But I swallowed my fear and got out and the man just stares at me and the woman gives me the evil eye.  GULP

Well I managed to find my voice and I ask the man if he knew which road we were supposed to take to detour away from the rock slide.  He looks at me for a minute and he says "Where ya goin?" And I said, " I am heading back down to South Carolina.   He stares at me for a moment like I was nuts and then he says , and I kid you not...........

"YA CAN'T GET THERE FROM HERE" !!!!!

And the weird thing was, I think he really  believed it !

So that was enough for me. I hurriedly got back into the car and headed back the opposite direction and I decided to get off on Hwy 25 (I think that was it)  and that turned out to be the detour road so I got in line behind what seemed like a hundred semis and three hundred cars and we all followed that twisting turning dark two lane road for what felt like hours.  It was dark as dark could be and there were no hotels or restaurants for a long ways. The kids were tired and hungry and I just wanted to be home.

Anyway, I was never so glad to see the lights of Asheville and the sign that said I-26 !!!

I don't even know why I told that story, except that it filled up some space.

So just remember, never get lost in Tennessee, never ask directions if you do, because you might find out that   "you can't get there from here" !!

Goodnight

Oh by the way, that was way before everyone had a GPS in their car or on their phones.



1 comment:

  1. Yeabut ... you can get their from over there ... :-P
    Mornin' Mz Lia!

    ReplyDelete

Merry Christmas

 Merry Christmas to all. Sorry I have not been on lately.  I had a bad cold and cough starting at Thanksgiving. I was finally getting over t...