Monday, January 5, 2015

Just a few thoughts on January 5th

Well here we are , the fifth day of the year already.  I was sick up until today and time kept right on slipping, slipping, slipping....

It's strange when a person gets sick and you lose days of your life just lying there feeling like you might be better off dead, but hoping you get through this rather quickly.  I won't go into the details but it was bad....

I seem to be doing some strange things lately which make me question if I am getting a bit daft in my old age.  Yeah, I know, I am not that old, but the things I do sometimes, make me wonder just how bad I will be when I do finally reach those "golden years" .  When exactly do those golden years begin by the way ?  I mean if you think about it , some people live to be 100 and some pass into the great beyond at a much younger age.   So if one only lives to be say, 65 , wouldn't 59 be part of their golden years ?  A very dear elderly gentleman I knew, once told me the reason they call them the golden years is that is when the doctors take all your gold !

 Hmmph, I don't have much gold and I avoid doctors as much as possible, so they won't be getting rich off of me.  If nature can't cure me, it's not going to get cured.

Of course I might change my mind if I ever come down with some major ailment, but for now, I'm keeping my gold .  Oh who am I kidding, I don't have any gold, but I do own two houses and that leads me to my next thought.

I own one house here in Florida and another in South Carolina.  Currently the one in South Carolina is on the market and hopefully by this time next year I will only own one house.   But for now I have to pay utility bills for both houses.  Last month I sat down to pay the bills for both houses.  One check goes to the City of O****  and the other goes to the City of T****.

Most of my bills I pay online, but for some reason of which I have no clue, I had not gotten around to setting up these two so I could pay them online.  I still write checks for them.   At some point I was scrolling through my check book register and noticed I had made a check out to the City of O****  for $54.26  and I wondered why I had made a check for that much to the City of O**** when that bill is usually only $29.35 .  Then I saw I had made another check out to the City of O**** for the usual amount.   I realized the $54.26 amount was actually the amount for the City of T****  and I had recorded it as the other city.   Then I started worrying....... Did I make the actual check out to the City of O**** , the one I mailed to the City of T**** ?  ( I hope you are following this so far)  .

Well I checked my bank account online but that check had not cleared yet. They seem to take forever to deposit those checks for some reason.  So I checked again a few days later and that check number had cleared the bank .  Now oddly enough, I HAD actually made it out to the City of O**** but mailed it to the City of T**** . I did however put the right account number on it.

Now what bothers me is this---  First of all, that I made the mistake in the first place.  I must be slipping (in my "golden" years) .  But, what bothers me more is that someone had to have gotten that check at the water department in the City of T****  , but they never noticed or decided not to notice that the check was made out to a whole other city.   Then they deposited that check into their bank which was TD Waterhouse........ no one caught it there.   It then went to MY bank and no on caught it there.   Not one single person in three separate institutions caught the error ??

But let ME try to go deposit a check into my bank account which is  made out to someone else and they will catch it before I can blink my eyes. (not that I have ever tried this mind you, but I feel sure they would)

Anyway, I set up my accounts on both cities so I can pay them both online now .   Oh and I did check my balance with the City of T*** and it is zero so at least it posted to my account.

Now I should be  ok as long as I keep remembering to pay the bills on time (which so far I have never paid a bill late)  and as long as my laptop keeps working and my internet is running, things should go quite smoothly from here on out :-)

4 comments:

  1. account numbers, bank transfer codes, and amounts written in text, rule.... no matter what else might be written on the check. they noticed, but followed standard procedure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I still would have thought the water company would have given me a call just to be on the safe side, but it all worked out . My bill is paid.

      Delete
  2. I agree with that old man about the gold thing! As far as the checks, we live in a different world today, sometimes I'm not happy at all about living in it! Glen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the world is much much different than the one we came up in Glen. I kind of feel like you do at times.....

      Delete

Merry Christmas

 Merry Christmas to all. Sorry I have not been on lately.  I had a bad cold and cough starting at Thanksgiving. I was finally getting over t...