Thursday, February 17, 2022

I have become a hermit !

 At the beginning of 2020, I reset my trip odometer because I like to see how many miles I travel in a year.  Well since it was 2020, there was nowhere to go really. To the store and to the office where I was working which is close by.  I can't remember how many miles exactly, that I put on during 2020, but it was something like 1700 miles ans some change lol.  On January 1, 2021, I reset my trip odometer. I forgot to reset it at the beginning of 2022 , but I just checked and it sits at 2768 miles. I don't work at the office anymore. I actually retired in September of last year so I am home most of the time. I take my granddaughter to school every morning, but the school is on the street that runs behind me and it is only maybe a mile and a half to the school. I pick her up in the afternoon.  

I go to the store but only when I absolutely half to and I take her places she likes to go, but they are all here in town. 

I haven't had a road trip in I don't know when unless you count a short one up to Port Orange to walk the trails at a garden/park up there.  I haven't really even been to the beach this past year except for one time during the summer.

I used to go all over the place, all over the country, this side of the Mississippi anyhow.  The trips to Idaho were always by plane, but I always thought how I wanted to one day drive out there so I could see more of this country.   But that will probably not happen now and I probably won't be doing a whole lot of road trips anymore unless I do one in the summer.   Not even sure I want to do that much driving anymore.  I used to think nothing of riding up to Indiana by myself.  Now I don't even like to go to Orlando by myself. I don't like Orlando anyway, so no big loss, but one of my daughters lives over there so on occasion I meet her for lunch at one of the restaurants on this side of Orlando because I will not get in the middle of that crazy traffic over there. Just to make it clear, it is not that I am afraid to go out.  It's just life, for the last couple of years, that thing called life got in the way.  And I DO love the peacefulness of my home so I am pretty content being here.

But I need to get out of this "hermit" mindset I have gotten myself into because that wanderlust has been creeping in, so maybe this year is the  year for another road trip.


We shall see.



Much love,

Lia 2/17/2022

5 comments:

  1. I put on a bit under 900 miles last year in my 2000 Ford Focus with maybe 44.5k on it. I don't get out much either...it's been 5 weeks since I crossed my property line and I am planning a quick trip to agrocery store that is near for some eggs + veggies then maybe a LONG trip to Aldi in a few weeks for more serious shopping...Aldi in Simpsonville is about 15 miles from here. My goal for 2022 is to get my travel down a few hundred miles...REALLY need to start growing veggies.

    In my younger daze I really liked road trips...drove a truck for North American summers when I was in college...it was REALLY good money back then and the job was fun. The last real road trip for me was coming here from CO and that was 24 hours of driving time and I believe I had 2 overnight stays along the way. I left Montrose ~3:45 PM after the movers left and stopped in Colorado Springs !6:45 PM for gas and sometime between Montrose and the Springs my back revolted and I could barely move. From that point on the drive was nothing but pain and almost 4 years later I am not even close to recovered so no long trips for me...yes...that is life and getting older.

    I do appreciate the silence & tranquility and enjoy it every day...in that zone where I really don't want to go anywhere...I have an acre and a half of quiet and sanity!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are more of a hermit than me! But truth of the matter is, the older I get, the more I enjoy being home and the thought of driving too far is not as appealing to me as it once was. To be honest, if I ride in a car for much more than an hour, I can barely get out of the car and my bones hurt. So most likely I won't go anywhere, though there are a few places I would like to see. I guess I can watch travel documentaries !!

      Delete
    2. I didn't receive an email telling me that you replied...maybe they finally cut off the notifications...I hope not. Yes, the body does not like to sit for extended periods of time. As I recall I did 8-9 hours the first day of the trip out here and 12 the second day so I had an easy third day...no way I could do that now. Oh...I see I probably forgot to click the notify button.

      For sure going to be mowing the lawn in 2 weeks and maybe one. Starting Monday it's back to getting things done...house needs to be cleaned and packed if I am going to sell this Fall and given how slowly I get things done I really need to start soon!

      Enjoy your weekend!

      Delete
  2. Since 2020 I haven't logged many miles at all on my car. Actually the cut back started in 2019 when I retired. Congratulations on retirement! I didn't know you had officially. I thought you were working from home during the shutdown etc. Even as things have opened up not everyone is back in the office. My brother is a good example. The company he works for is still doing remote.
    Well I've become a hermit too. I would like to take a trip sometime. Not sure when of if I will. If you do get to drive and visit this beautiful country maybe do so with another person that way you have two drivers. I was only through Idaho once when I was a kid. It was when my family moved to Seattle for a couple of years as it turned out. That's another story, maybe that could be my next blog.
    I do drive most everyday especially in the Winter. Just to keep the car moving and the battery charged. With all this snow we've had some of those days I just stared the car and let it run while I shoveled the snow. Anyway I don't far. Just a trip around the blocks to get the battery charged. The other places I need to go are just three or four minutes away. Like the gas station, the bank if I want cash and the grocery store. Here's to the hermit life!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess being a hermit is a mark of old age, though we are not THAT OLD, but you know what I mean. I am not sure I actually will take a trip, but if I do, I won't go alone. That was fine back when I was younger, but not these days.

    ReplyDelete

Merry Christmas

 Merry Christmas to all. Sorry I have not been on lately.  I had a bad cold and cough starting at Thanksgiving. I was finally getting over t...