Thursday, February 24, 2022

Two chickens

For the last three years, since before my granddaughter came to live with me, she has been begging me to get chickens.  I live in town and until two years ago, we were not allowed to have chickens, but they changed that to allow backyard chickens, but there is a two chicken limit.

This past summer she started in about the chickens so I finally relented and off we go to the farm store to see if they had any chickens.  We can't have roosters so I had to make sure those babies were actually girls. I have no idea how to tell chickens apart but they assured me at the store that these were not roosters.  I was skeptical, but we got two little chicks and brought them home.  My granddaughter said one of them could be for her little cousin and one would be hers.    

So he came over and I told them they had to choose names for the chickens.  She named hers Mrs. Cheep.  My grandson, who can be a bit on the kooky side sat there saying "Um, um, um" but he finally blurts out a name for his chicken-----  Rainbow Cat !!!   😲  Don't ask me where that came from. My granddaughter just looked at me when he said that and laughed.    It was his chicken so I had to abide by that name.

Mrs. Cheep and Rainbow Cat are now grown chickens and laying eggs. We get at least one a day, and sometimes two a day, but I think Rainbow Cat doesn't produce as many as Mrs. Cheep.  Mrs. Cheep lays green eggs and Rainbow Cat lays.........  no, not rainbow colored lol.  She lays blue eggs. These chickens are mutt chickens, or more specifically Easter Eggers.   A cross breed.  They are friendly chickens, though Mrs. Cheep tends to dominate Rainbow Cat because Rainbow Cat is shy and submissive.  I mean what do you expect from a chicken named Rainbow Cat???

Here are a couple of pictures, one when they were babies and one from a couple of months ago. They are both fatter now than what these pictures show.   






Rainbow Cat on the left, Mrs. Cheep on the right.

Oh, when they finally started laying eggs, I told my granddaughter she would have to start eating eggs more often.  She look horrified and said "I am not eating eggs from the chickens!"   I said, "why not".

She replied "because the eggs come out of their butts!"   ( Granted,  I had no idea till I looked it up that they do indeed come from the same orifice as everything else ).    I asked her "well where do you think the eggs come from that are in the store? "   She sat there for a minute then got the funniest look on her face and all she said was "OH".   I still laugh about that, but I am happy to say she got over her aversion to eating the eggs from her chickens.

That is all I have this morning.   

Much Love,

Lia   2/24/2022


5 comments:

  1. EVERYONE had chickens in Colorado AND the eggs were REALLY good! As much as I would like the supply of fresh eggs plants are as far as I will go because I don't think I am ready to be a parent to any animal not only chickens. Yes...no roosters allowed in town BUT out here in rural SC it's OK and one of my neighbors must have a couple and they are located at least 100+ yards away and they still can wake me up if the windows are open and that is why there are no roosters in town.

    Didn't make it to Aldi this morning..it was way too foggy...maybe tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I held off as long as I could with the chickens. First I had the excuse we couldn't have them in town, but then city council voted to allow 2 chickens per property owner and my granddaughter picked up on that. Had to have a small coop and run built first. It's covered so the hawks would not kill the chicks. I will have to admit it is nice having fresh eggs, but not sure it is cost effective by the time I buy feed. Still, she enjoys them and it is a learning experience for her.

      Delete
  2. How cool! The kids are darling. I love the pics. I don't think I can have chickens around here. Who knows if that will ever change. I remember the chickens on my uncle's farm. The farm is still there now passed on to his son. No more chickens, no more cows. But they do grow a corn. He sells the corn at a roadside stand by the farm. I loved going there when I was a kid. It was an adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My granny in Oklahoma lived on a farm and they had a big flock of chickens. She would send us out to gather the eggs and I was terrified that the chickens would peck me if I took their eggs. I was really little at the time and never got pecked lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. The chickens are great for cleaning up the yard...the yard...they will eat anything that moves and a lot that doesn't!

    ReplyDelete

Merry Christmas

 Merry Christmas to all. Sorry I have not been on lately.  I had a bad cold and cough starting at Thanksgiving. I was finally getting over t...