For twenty years it refused to grow. It was nothing more than a straggly stick with a couple of twigs growing from it. I wasn’t even sure if it was a tree. All I knew was it was ugly and spindly and was in the way along the fence where I wanted to plant my herb garden. I decided to cut it down to the ground.
The next spring it was back, the little spindly stick with a couple twigs and a few leaves. It didn’t grow, so I cut it back down.
Every year, the same thing.
Then tragedy struck. I lost my daughter to suicide.
For four and half years I existed in a fog.
I quit noticing things, rarely went out into my back yard.
One day recently I stepped outside and noticed a tree. A beautiful tree with a big sturdy trunk and branches reaching to the sky, full of the most beautiful green leaves.
How did it get there?
How did I not notice?
It must have been the fog of grief that blinded me.
It still amazes me every time I look at the tree. I wonder how it could have grown so huge in such a short amount of time.
I like to think it was a gift from my daughter. A beautiful gift to open my eyes so I would see through the fog and start living again.

What bothers me about this tree is the fact that I never saw it when it was growing. Not so much that it did finally grow and grow quickly. The trunk is quite thick, thicker than what I would think a tree would grow in 4 years. But maybe it is some fast growing tree. But how could I have been in such a fog that I didn't even notice it??? I need to wake up!
ReplyDeleteAMAZING! The FOG will do that...been there...something you don't recognize till after you have passed through the exit...your eyes are open again...the brain fog is gone. Enjoy your new found tree friend....the herbs can grow somewhere else!
ReplyDeleteYes, I have moved my herbs to a raised bed on the other side of the house. Don't mind the two shade of fence. That fence belongs to my neighbor. He started replacing the panels, but he ended up having eye surgery and has had a hard time getting out to do anything. I think he might drink too much too haha. So I guess the fence will be two toned for awhile.
DeleteWhat herbs do you grow? I am thinking about starting some next year or maybe even indoors over the winter...I'd like to start with something easy...any suggestions? At some point I REALLY need to grow some horseradish because I can not find it anywhere!
ReplyDeleteRight now I only have Parsley, Rosemary, Basil and Thyme, and Mint , the ones I use the most. All of these are easy to grow, but with Basil you have to pinch off the flowers or they will all go to seed. And keep them in a semi sunny location. Parley and Basil burn up quite easily in the hot summer sun. You can plant them in pots and keep them in a sunny window if you have one and they grow all year round. Horseradish roots for growing can be bought online and sometimes Walmart has them.
DeleteThank You! Tips from practical experience are GREATLY appreciated! Unfortunately I don't have any windows that get a lot of sun. I was going to ask/say something else but I forgot what it was...high 50s this morning and that is WONDERFUL!
Delete76 this morning. We have had a very hot summer, but lately it has been in the 80's so that is not so bad. I miss those "Fall" temps like you have but I won't see the 50's till December or January most likely
DeleteIn my younger days I LOVED the heat but now I'm good for 4-5 weeks and after that I am ready for MUCH lower temps...at least in the morning. The southwest/high desert gets regular 40-45 degree temp swings from morning to the hottest part of the day...here is more like 20 degrees. In CO or NM it could be low 50s in the morning and 95 for the high. The cool mornings made the heat a LOT easier to take. Here if it's low 90s at peak it's low to mid 70s in the morning which ain't the same! Fall is my season. We had a hot late June and July...temps 8-10 degrees above average. Nothing better than some hot coffee on a cool to even cold morning!
ReplyDelete