For the most part, I tend to accept people and all of their flaws , because we are after all, flawed humans. And I myself have many faults and flaws, so how can I expect more from others than what I have to offer ? Besides, perfect people are arrogant . Arrogant in that they only imagine themselves to be perfect .
There is one thing that I expect from people, myself included, and that is "honesty" . Honesty in all things, not just the things we want to be honest about. I've often been told that it is better to withhold the truth than to hurt someone with the truth. I disagree. Truth is sometimes painful, but that is a pain we can, for the most part, rise above and heal from.
I can accept painful truths.
What I cannot accept are lies and evasions . A lie is a lie is a lie and there really are no such thing as pretty white lies. Lies hurt and they hurt much worse than painful truths, because to me, it is very difficult to rise above the pain brought on by a lie. And it destroys trust . And I think we would all agree that once trust is destroyed, it is difficult to rebuild it. I think this is why so many relationships fail.
And then we have evasions. Some people do everything they can to avoid the truth. When asked about something or caught doing something, they will run around in circles trying to evade the obvious rather than just being honest and speaking the truth, painful or not. Evasions , in my opinion, are nothing more than lies that aren't spoken. And evasions, in the end, only postpone the painful truth. I would rather get it out of the way so we can rise above and move on.
Honesty, it's such a lonely word.
There is one thing that I expect from people, myself included, and that is "honesty" . Honesty in all things, not just the things we want to be honest about. I've often been told that it is better to withhold the truth than to hurt someone with the truth. I disagree. Truth is sometimes painful, but that is a pain we can, for the most part, rise above and heal from.
I can accept painful truths.
What I cannot accept are lies and evasions . A lie is a lie is a lie and there really are no such thing as pretty white lies. Lies hurt and they hurt much worse than painful truths, because to me, it is very difficult to rise above the pain brought on by a lie. And it destroys trust . And I think we would all agree that once trust is destroyed, it is difficult to rebuild it. I think this is why so many relationships fail.
And then we have evasions. Some people do everything they can to avoid the truth. When asked about something or caught doing something, they will run around in circles trying to evade the obvious rather than just being honest and speaking the truth, painful or not. Evasions , in my opinion, are nothing more than lies that aren't spoken. And evasions, in the end, only postpone the painful truth. I would rather get it out of the way so we can rise above and move on.
Honesty, it's such a lonely word.
Honesty, some people, myself included, try to be as honest as we can, without letting to much of us be exposed. Some look at leaving details out as being dishonest. I look at it often as protecting myself. If you are a friend of mine, you will know all you want to know about me, all you have to do is ask. Some people just don't want to let others in, until we know them... or at least think we know them. By the way, I love that Billy Joel song, he has a great way with music and lyrics. I'll tell you a great story about him sometime.
ReplyDeleteI don't expect to know everything there is to know about people online or off for that matter. There are reasons people keep things to themselves. This is more about one on one relationships between two people , relationships that are deeper or have the potential to become deeper then just casual acquaintances. I find you to be one of the most open and honest people I know Skipper.
Delete"...What I cannot accept are lies and evasions ...."
ReplyDeleteYes...and we live in a world filled with both.
Unfortunately that is true Richard :-) .... on many levels.
Delete... I don't have much honesty in my makeup. I usually am truthful, however ...
ReplyDeleteSometimes you confuse me Rusty LOL
Deletethe trick is to avoid confusing my 'truth' with other's realities....
ReplyDeleteNow I am going to have to think about that one.... :-)
Deletetrust is a lovely house....honesty is the foundation...
ReplyDeleteAnd you are such an amazing poet <3
Delete