Friday, January 17, 2020

January 17, 2020



More than halfway through the month already. January is going by quickly except for one aspect --- this posting everyday thing I forced upon myself. In that respect, it is dragging!!
Oh well, I am determined to post everyday (in January lol). After that, we shall see.
So, living in Florida you get used to lizards. They are everywhere. I step out on to my back porch and they go scurrying away. Some of them seem not as skittish and they will climb up on the chair you are sitting on. They are all over the grandkids' swings and the slide. The kids are pretty used to them too. They chase them around and try to catch them and when they do the lizard will bite, but it doesn't hurt and the kids just laugh at them.
Sometimes these little critters will jump on you, or fall from a tree and land on you. Well that always causes me to jump but after all these years, I have learned to keep an eye out for them so it doesn't happen to me very often.
These lizards even come in the house when they find a chance. Don't leave a door open for more than a few seconds because they are fast and they will scurry in behind you and you never see them. Well, not until you are sitting down reading, or watching a movie or something. Then you will see one on the wall, or running across the floor or trying to figure out how to get out through the window.
I don't even bother trying to catch them anymore to take them out. They find their way eventually. And when they don't , you find them dried out dead under the sofa, or various other places. They don't seem to stink either LOLOL. They really don't even decay, they just become mummy lizards.
Anyway, as I said, I barely notice them anymore and it doesn't bother me if I see one or two in the house. I go about my business, they go about theres. The are just indoor pets like a dog, or a cat, with so much less maintenance.
The lizards I am talking about are called "anoles". When I first moved here, all I saw were the green anoles.
This image has an empty alt attribute; its file name is anole-green.jpg
Helllloooo there!
A few years back, I stopped seeing the green ones and started seeing the brown ones. I couldn't figure out why there were no more green ones. Well someone told me that the brown anoles would eat the green anoles, so now that brown ones took over. This past year I started seeing the green ones and the brown ones.
This image has an empty alt attribute; its file name is anole-brown.jpg
So, again, I am used to the anoles. They don't bother me one bit but I do have a rule. No climbing into bed with me!
Last night my daughter, her husband, and my grandson were leaving to go over to his parents house. It was already dark so I turned on the porch light for them and walked out on to the front porch. I happened to look up on the ceiling of the covered front porch and saw the creepiest ugliest thing in the world. I said "ewww what IS that??" My daughter just laughed and said "that's a gecko, we used to see them all the time when we were stationed in Georgia". Now when I think of geckos, I think of the little Geico gecko on the commercial. He is a cute little thing. If I saw him, I would say "aww c'mere you cutie".
This image has an empty alt attribute; its file name is geico-lizard.jpg
Geico Gecko
Well let me tell you, that thing I saw last night was NOT a cutie. He was creepy. He wasn't green. This is what he looked like. I tried to get a picture but by the time I went to get my camera, he had run off, so I stole one from the Twilight Zone.
Now tell me this isn't the creepiest thing you have ever seen. I had no idea there were pink geckos. I thought they were green, but sure enough, I look it up and there are pink ones--- the stuff of nightmares. And to make it worse, while I was looking at that creepy thing praying to the Almighty that it would not run into my house, I notice four more of them all hanging around on the ceiling!!! FOUR!!! I'm telling you, it has to be some kind of plague!! Now I know how those Egyptians felt!
This image has an empty alt attribute; its file name is geckopink.jpg
Hellloooo Lia, I'm coming to get you!!
This image has an empty alt attribute; its file name is geckopinkk.jpg
Oh Liaaaaa, can I sleep in your bed tonight?
The more I think about it, I NEVER saw one of these creatures until last night. Never before my kids moved down from Georgia! I think this is one of those secret military experiments and they sent my son-in-law down here with a few to terrorize the crazy people of Florida. 😱😶
So that's it for tonight.
Much Love,
Lia the Lizard Lady 😀
.

1 comment:

  1. Ah Lizard Lady. Well you can guess I don't see many lizards around here. After the 5 inches of snow we got overnight I would say I won't see any today! I wonder if there are any anoles up here? Probably not lol.
    You're right, January is flying by!!

    ReplyDelete

Merry Christmas

 Merry Christmas to all. Sorry I have not been on lately.  I had a bad cold and cough starting at Thanksgiving. I was finally getting over t...