Monday, March 14, 2022

Canned Soup

I am not a fan of canned soup, at least not these days. I used to like it when I was younger, but that was when you could  buy a can of soup and there would actually be something in it besides water and four sad little noodles floating around in it.  And it used to be cheap. I can remember when a can of soup was about 30 cents and sometimes depending on what kind of soup it was, they would put it on sale for 10 cents a can.  I think that was back in the 70's and 80's.  This was Campbell's soup or sometimes the store brands which were usually just as good.  Then the prices started going up and the quality started going down and before you knew it, you were paying a dollar for 2 carrots and a green bean in some water and they called it soup.  Now a can of Campbell's soup is almost two bucks and there is just one bean and one carrot in it and it doesn't taste good.  The only kinds that haven't changed are the cream soups, cream of mushroom, cream of chicken, cream of celery and on and on.  Most people don't eat those as soup, they usually used them to cook with.  I have pretty much stopped buying Campbell's brand.  I tried Progresso for awhile and it was pretty good, but now it has gone downhill also. I guess they will blame that on covid like everything else.

I prefer to make my own homemade soup.  My granddaughter loves my beef vegetable soup and she would eat it everyday if I let her.  Also I make a mean chicken noodle soup and I make that anytime anyone in the family is sick .  If  my chicken noodle soup won't cure you, nothing will.

So back to canned soup. I recently started shopping at Aldi's because of their prices. You can't beat them on most things.  The only downside to Aldi's is they do not have much of a selection and they don't always have the same things in the store from week to week. So if you find something you like, you may not find it again the next time.  I don't know if Aldi's is nationwide or just in the southeast, but they are worth checking out if you want to save money in this day and age.

About a month ago, I was in there and I saw this soup and it looked like it might be good. So living in Florida, I always have my pantry stocked with non-perishables (because of hurricanes) and now I have my pantry stocked so I can feed an army  just in case the SHTF as it looks like it might.

I had gone over to Merritt Island with my granddaughter today and we ate lunch over there so neither of us was very hungry this evening, so I decided to just have soup and sandwiches.  And since it was late in the day, I didn't have time to make homemade soup, so I opened a can of the soup I bought from Aldi's.   WOW, it was delicious.  And it was mostly stuff and very little broth. Real soup. The only thing it needed was a bit of pepper.



 I can't believe it.  Funny, it was much cheaper than   the name brand soups and it is imported from Germany.  How in the world can it be cheaper when it is imported?   Anyway, I hope they keep this soup around, because now when I want to buy soup, I will forgo the name brands and get my soup from Aldi's.  

And that is all I have for today!


Lia 3/14/2022

2 comments:

  1. Aldi is all over the US...it's an interesting story...I believe it's a German company and I believe they bought Trader Joe's and split the US business...one brother runs TJ's in the US the other Aldi. You will find Aldi in Europe, the UK and Australia. been shopping Aldi since I arrived in SC and FYI they have had those soups for the almost 4 years I have been shopping there. Yes...selection is limited but I actually like that...the store is smaller and for the most part it works for me. I'll do an occasional trip to TJ's when I want to go upscale. I do agree...when it comes to many things...soups, chili and some others it really does make sense to make your own...ANYTHING prepared is expensive and much of it has too much salt or other things added. As far as Aldi soup goes I like the German Potato soup although it's a bit salty and VERY thick so I add some other goodies as some water...it's good starter and one large can ends up making many meals. I don't know how they do it but it is clear they know how to run an organization VERY efficiently and still maintain a reasonable level of quality. When I lived in FL in the early 1990s I LOVED Publix...that was then...now it's REALLY expensive and the bakery isn't near as good. I'm all in for Aldi these days!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Aldi is nation wide. We used to go there all the time before we moved. Our local grocery store is just three minutes away. Aldi's soups have always been good. You're right about some items may not be there next time but maybe later lol. Since I go to the local store now I still will buy the cheaper brand of soups. One is pretty good the other cheap brand isn't much different than the way Campbell's soups are now. The last four years is when the price of soups really skyrocketed. I always keep my pantry stocked too especially during Winter. However I do make my own soup. My vegetable beef is pretty good too! One of the things I like doing since I retired is trying different recipes. I haven't tried chicken noodle yet but I certainly will. (-;

    ReplyDelete

Merry Christmas

 Merry Christmas to all. Sorry I have not been on lately.  I had a bad cold and cough starting at Thanksgiving. I was finally getting over t...